Click here to download our Case for Support to learn more.
ADVANCE DEKALB is a five-year, multi-million dollar transformative economic growth initiative to foster inclusive job creating investment in DeKalb County, benefiting all of Metro Atlanta.
• It builds upon - and funds - many of the recommendations from the DeKalb Thrives Economic Development Strategy.
• It will be implemented by Decide DeKalb, the county’s primary economic development agency. Decide DeKalb operates under an appointed, independent board of business leaders that works with partners, stakeholders and the business community to spur capital investment, encourage job growth and business sustainability. They have a strong track record of success: working to create or retain 10,284 announced jobs and $1.47 billion in announced capital investment in the past three years alone.
Why It’s Needed Now: The Challenges and Opportunities
With new county leadership and a new vision for the future, we are perfectly positioned to tackle some of the biggest challenges to our long-term growth and prosperity:
• Increased competition from peer communities for businesses, jobs, and workforce;
• Local employers struggling to attract and retain qualified workers;
• Older parts of our community in need of redevelopment; and
• Negative perceptions from the past that do not reflect today’s realities.
We are also prepared to take advantage of the many opportunities before us:
• Building upon the momentum of new leadership and recent successes;
• Stronger collaboration between public and private sectors;
• Renewed focus, investment, and trust from residents; and
• The potential to transform entire neighborhoods for the better through redevelopment.
The Plan to Address These Challenges:
The campaign will fund specific strategies, tactics and additional resources focused on three goal areas:
• Goal 1: Comprehensive Economic Development – to grow jobs, business and our brand.
- Strengthen Our Brand and Marketing Capacity
- Enhance Resources to Recruit, Expand & Retain Businesses
- Nurture Target Industry Start-Ups and Small Business Growth
• Goal 2: Talent and Workforce Development – to develop, retain and attract a skilled workforce for local employers.
- Assist Employers in Identifying, Attracting and Retaining Talent
- Grow and Align Education and Workforce Resources with Existing Business Needs
• Goal 3: Infrastructure and Community Development – to invest in revitalization, the community and our future.
- Create Best Practices for Our Community and Sense of Place
- Revitalize Older Areas with Catalytic Redevelopment Projects
- Invest for the Long-Term Through Creative Financial Tools
The Community’s Call to Action: The Campaign
To fund this effort, the campaign is seeking new (mostly) private sector support (in addition to existing public-sector support) to aggressively grow and expand the core of Decide DeKalb’s work.
• The goal is to raise $1.5-2 million in pledges to fund the 5-year initiative.
• The timeline of the fundraising campaign will run from the summer of 2018 through the winter of 2019 with a public kickoff and phase starting in Q2, 2019.
• Investor levels run from $1,000 per year to $50,000+ per year with tiered benefits. Campaign investors will also be an exclusive group – we estimate there will be less than 100 total investors by the end of campaign operations.
• Atlanta-based capital fundraising firm POWER 10 is assisting with the campaign. Other local POWER 10 campaigns include Partnership Gwinnett, Johns Creek Advantage, and Cherokee By Choice.
What Success Looks Like: The Results and Economic Impact
The results and impact will be significant, measurable, and far-reaching, setting DeKalb County up for long-term, sustainable job growth and economic success. According to an independent Economic Impact Analysis Report conducted in July 2018 by the Economic Impact Group, ADVANCE DEKALB is projected to generate the following economic impacts:
• 17,206 total jobs
• $405 million in new income
• $536 million in personal consumption expenditures
• $183 million in new and retained personal bank deposits
• A minimum total Value-Added Impact of $1.4 Billion over the five-year initiative.
Ready to pledge your support? Please click here to download our Case for Support to learn more.